Monday, December 5, 2011

Oh,Just Shoot Me!

Oh, just shoot me. I've been remiss (I love an opportunity to use that word, but not an opportunity to be that word)in keeping up this blog. I feel ungrateful. There are 39 followers here, some maybe more loyal than others, but none the less, each and every one of you had no reluctance to click that follow button. Are ya wondering why?


I could make a raft of excuses. NaNoWriMo in the month of November.I bit off more than I can chew trying to keep up two blogs. I have more to say about my writing than in my personal Journal( oh yeah, then why is the writing blog, getting so personal), Tuesday and Thursdays are better days for me to blog. At the end of the day they are all just excuses. I hate excuses. Don't you? So... I'm going to try to get better. I'm going to post here on Friday and Monday. I'll be at http://www.farawayeyes1.blogspot.com on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I'm going to take Wednesdays off. I do have to say I get a lot more comments at Far Away than here, so maybe y'all have just given up on me.


Anyway...Let me tell you about what we did last night. Last night we went to the Miss Alfredo Andrews Pageant at the Alfredo Andrews Elementary School. One of the little 8 year olds that we go to church with was vying for the title with four other little girls. I've been to my share of Rodeo Queen Contests, but nothing like this. Holy Moly it was something to be hold. There were two 8 years olds, two 9 years olds and one 10 year old in the contest.These kids were so polished you would not have believed it. When our little contestant, Helena, answered her 'question' on Social Media, I about fell out of my chair.


The judging was based on : Introductory Speech, Casual Wear, Talent, Semi Formal Wear and Question/Answer.  I have to admit the clothes were age appropriate, if not extravagant. The talents were extraordinary. The Casual wear competition primarily revolved around cultural themes (Madras plaid is big here).In the Semi-formal category they all wore little princess party dresses. The polish and maturity shown in all of the Q/A's was phenomenal. Of course, Helena's was the best, but she probably also drew the best question.


Culturally we are out of our element. The island people come from an African culture. They were slaves on the island working the plantations until the revolution. Everything here is based around that. Something that is so foreign to me and yet somehow familiar. Don't ask me to explain that one. The music is wonderfully raucous and loud. Gives Rick fits, but I love it.(that surprises no one, right?)


Alas, Helena did not win the coveted title.She did place as the first runner up, you know that all important title because you take over if the queen cannot (that rarely happens, but they try to make you feel good).She also won the title of Miss Intellect (as a parent that one would make me proud)and Miss Popularity. There were a lot of tears all around. It's hard to accept not winning when your 8, 9 or 10. But there was also a lot of very mature congratulations for the winner.


The world of beauty pageants,something new and different for us. Something that is big here in the islands.There are all kinds of Miss this or that. The island is also gearing up for festival. Ah,if you haven't experienced Festival you have not lived.


In the Caribbean it's any excuse for a party. Oh it's Tuesday,let's party. Festival encompasses the weeks before Christmas and goes through Epiphany or Three Kings Day, at which time we have Carinvale. Carnivale is generally reserved for Mardi Gras, but here in the islands each island wants their own Carinvale so they pick a holiday (or make one up) and choose to celebrate Carnivale in connection with it. It might not be quite as big and extravagant as the Carnivale in Rio, but not for lack of trying. It's a two day event.One day is the Children's Parade and the next day is the Adult Parade,but the end of the parade is very Adult.


Last year we were in the states for Christmas freezing our butts off. We were back in time for Carnivale, but we missed the other festivities. This year we will be here for the whole deal. It's already beginning, look out your window on a clear night, maybe you can see the lights.


Tomorrow, I'm going to be telling another Ghost Story on the Far Away Series. This is the one that inspired my NaNo project.See you there if your so inclined.


Especially during the Holiday 'thinking must be optional'.


Here's a song to get you in the mood.



2 comments:

  1. Your blog schedule sounds good. Can't comment on the pageant as I've never seen one. And you have Carnivale like Rio? You'll need to post photos. My only experience with it is from watching the animated film Rio earlier this year. (Talking birds - not really accurate I'm sure!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex.No talking birds,but I promise pictures.

    ReplyDelete