Thursday, September 8, 2011

Perspective and enduring to the end. Do you really want to know about the fridge. It fixed itself. Yep, it truly did. The Property Manager suggested we try something. Turn it completely off and let it defrost. She explained to us that sometimes the fan,which is external, gets frozen up (how is that possible in this climate, remember I just said it was external) if this happens the cold air can't circulate from the freezer to the fridge box.

OK I'm two weeks with that hunter/gather crap so I'll try anything. We got everything out, turned it completely off. Cleaned the whole creepy thing too. Started her back up and guess what. Oh yeah, works like a dream. It's colder than it ever has been (like since we moved it) and there is no frost build up in the freezer. PERSPECTIVE.

My property Manager is a little dingy and often she tells us some of the most rideculous things just to shut us up, therefore I was not gonna buy this whole "frozen up fan deal". Yeah, well,who look a little dingy now. Rick is fit to be tied.

This brings me to what I really want to talk about (yeah, I'm just getting there). Perspective - you know"one man's ceiling is another man's floor" (Particularly relevant when you live in a condo or apartment).Anyone who has read this blog in the past knows that I've written one novel and am working on my second. The first is with an editor and I'm waiting with baited breath to hear what they have to say. Then I get to start the process of looking for an agent to represent my work - Let the rejection begin. But I digress. Anyway...I follow a lot of authors on TWITTER and various blogs. They all seem to have a universal problem. A strange lack of perspective.

I read a TWEET once that said "capture your readers imagination" to me that was strange. I want to set your imagination free, let it soar. I intentionally give just enough physical description of my characters to give you an outline and let you fill in the blanks. After all we each have a different idea of what the romantic lead should look like, Right? Otherwise, you ladies would all be after my husband. Same thing with places. The difference for me is with emotions, that's what I try to use to define my characters and even their surroundings. Do you want to "feel" when you read? I do.

Now here comes the hard part for an author. Letting go. If I'm willing to only give you enough description and let you fill in the blanks, I have to let you "think" what you will. A complete respect for your agency. We all want to be like that, but do we really. Most of us want the validation that our ideas are the _____(right, best, only, etc, etc - insert your own word) ideas on the planet. Well, I want some of that validation too kinda, but I'm coming to the realization that if you want to write something that people can connect with, you have to give it to them and let them make the connections. We only do this on our,you cannot do it for someone else.

It's like salvation. We are each responsible for our own. Art(my father) used to say "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". I've owned horses (still do, as a matter of fact) and there were never truer words spoken. Hope Art can hear me say that.

Keeping things in perspective is sometimes the hardest thing. Enduring to the end, with or without the proper perspective is always hard. Fortunately, I have James Blunt crooning out of the speakers telling me "You're Beautiful". On another subject that song actually happened to me one time. Ask me about it sometime, maybe if you ask enough I'll have the nerve to tell you .

Later. From a place where "thinking is always optional".

No comments:

Post a Comment