Monday, November 7, 2011

Thunder on the Water

More storms moving through the Territories today. Big deep blue clouds, flashes of lightening and thunder rumbling over the ocean. Kind of spooky, but I do love that sound. Of course, every so often there is an 'up close and personal' strike with a crack of thunder that lingers for about three minutes, and rattles the filling in your teeth. Scares the crap out of me, but I love to be scared. Unfortunately, we're not getting much rain.


The old phrase "water, water everywhere," has new meaning when you live on an island this small. No rivers here. Oh every gut turns into a rushing turret when the real rains come, but it runs off into the ocean or soaks into the ground pretty quick. The water we use is 'collected' water. Even the fanciest places have cisterns. The condo project that I live in, has a sophisticated system for collecting water and recirculating their 'grey water' to flush toilets and the like. Gives a whole new meaning to "Don't drink the water". Yeah, I learned that one the hard way.


As we head into winter, our normally dry season, if the cisterns aren't full most folks will end up buying water and it ain't cheap. Unfortunately, the folks most likely to encounter water problems are poor. A lot of folks here are poor. I love the storms, but the dry storms don't do us any good. Among other things, pray for rain. Nice gentle rain here in the Caribbean. No mud slides please.


As most of you know (if you reading here and not skimming, you know) that I am currently consumed in NaNoWriMo. This is my first time and I am having a ball. What a way to write? Sorry my posts here are not as clever and entertaining as usual, but you know, I gotta save it for the book.


I do want to mention that I watched an interesting movie last night. "Limitless". It was a freak show. Now, I wish I could write something like that. Rent it sometime. You might like it, or you might see how warped I am. Either way.


I'm probably not going to post here on Wednesday. It's hard keeping up and writing something worthwhile for you to read. Know that I AM writing somewhere.  By next week I'll try to post something from The Ghost's Story on  http:/ farawayeyes1.blogspot.com Rick says this is my best one yet. Of course, he is still dependent on me for food, so you can't really trust his judgement.


I'm going to try to add a link for a song here. This is on my writing playlist. I'm missing my horses as I write this one. I'm feeling homesick for the ranch in Colorado and the ski town we used to live in. Unfortunately, the place I'm homesick for doesn't really exist any more. Only in my mind. Ah change.


If the song doesn't show up you will know I'm still blond, still cyber-challenged and still live where 'thinking is optional'.


I'm practicing my French,so Bonne chance for today.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Barb...it worked!!! I will miss your posts on this blog....I still look forward each day to reading it. Sorry I haven't called yet...I am so busy and time flies! I am cleaning houses, doing some CNA work, taking people to town, etc.! Carol Ashmuth passed away last night...soooo sad! Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete