Monday, May 30, 2011

My Memorial Day thoughts! I have a sadness in my heart when I think of Memorial Day and all of the men, women and even children who have died in past wars. What exactly is wrong with human beings that they cannot settle differences any other way. I have a great respect for those who have willing served or who do serve right now in the military, to do the things that their government asks of them.

We like to talk about our military defending freedom and our country, so often that is not necessarily the case, but at any rate they do carry out the desires of our government. These are dedicated people who work harder than the average person and who put up with working conditions that are generally severe. I have a great-great-great grand father who gave his life fighting in the U.S. Civil War, my father and father-in-law both served in WWII, I have one son-in-law who served in the National Guard, and a Godson who served in the U.S. Army in more than one "conflict" area. I am proud of these men and honor them .

Within a few days of the September 11th attack on the U.S., I had the opportunity to visit The Little Big Horn National Memorial (Custer's Last Stand) where there is a large Military Cemetery adjacent to the Battlefield Site. At this time the U.S. Flag flew at half mast in a salute to those who had died in New York and Pennsylvania, there were smaller flags on each grave. I will never forget the haunting feeling that permeated this place at that time. It was as if the ghost of every soldier buried their including Custer, his men and the Americans they fought against wailed in protest; "don't you see, in war there are no victors; only the dead".

On this Memorial Day I want to say again that I love, honor and respect the men and women who put on the military uniform of their country and are willing to follows orders to the death. I am grateful for their service to both their country and to it's citizens, including my self. I have no doubt that they do a job that is required and that none of us wants to take their place. BUT........

On this Memorial Day 2011 I want to say that I sill stand unequivocally against War and pray that all might come home safely and their be no further need of their valuable service. Being against war, does not mean you are against the men and women who must fight in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment