Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election day, I wonder what it will bring. There certainly is room for change, but real change would seem to be important. I have to ashamedly admit that I did not vote. Rumor has it that if we register to vote in the VI, we will not be eligible to vote in the next Presidential election. In an effort to get to the bottom of this rumor, we waited too long and did not register in time. I sure do hope that the candidate that I'm pulling for in the Gubernatorial race here wins, or at least that he does not lose by two votes.

I have been very disappointed in my voting career. It seems the choice generally seems to be between the lesser of two evils. I can't remember the last time I was actually excited about a particular candidate.
Even when I have started out feeling really good about someone, they go on in their campaign to do something that I consider embarrassing (like engage in mud slinging) and I end up once again discouraged.

Today my daughter sent me an email titled Iron Jawed Angels, it was about women gaining the right to vote, it truly did make me ashamed of the times I did not vote (like today). It is an important right and it's up to us to exercise it. Unfortunately, I do believe that their are some elections where we really don't get to make the decision about who will represent us (like in the Presidential race) but it is still important to cast our vote and stand up for what we believe to be right. I will be sure that I am voting in the next elections and probably locally, no matter what the consequences may be, I live here now and I want to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment