Friday, April 22, 2011


I love you Mother Earth and today is your day. I remember my first Earth Day, the first time I was made aware of Earth Day. Rick and I were back living in Frisco, Colorado a "fringe" town to the Colorado ski resorts and a place for the environmentally minded. Anyway, we decided to take the kids (then 6 and 12) to some of the Earth Day activities, in an effort to help them understand their personal stewardship over Mother Earth. One of the things we did was go to the Frisco Town Hall where they were showing a film on the Tuna fishing fleet and it's devastating effect on the world's dolphin population. I can proudly say, I have not eaten tuna fish since, even though Charlie tries to assure us "no dolphins where harmed in the harvesting of his fish".

Maybe not eating tuna fish isn't enough but, hey, it's a start. I protested against nuclear proliferation in the early seventies and at that time it was not only bombs that we were talking about. If enough of you want to hear my rant on nuclear proliferation, let me know and I'll publish my article on Godzilla vs. the World here. I'm wondering if we are really paying attention and taking our stewardship seriously.

I really wouldn't call myself an environmentalist (at least I never took my life in my hands in that manner while I lived in Idaho) but there are some things that we really need to consider individually and collectively. Personally, I thought the wolf reintroduction to Yellowstone National Park was a dumb idea. First, we hunted them into endangered, then because we could, we reintroduced them into a population that was not prepared and in an area that was no longer wilderness. My first hand experience with just how dumb this idea was, came when they were showing up in my backyard. They proved to not be afraid of us or our barking dogs. I can promise you that when you encounter a wolf up close and personal and see just how big and carniverous they are, you would be hard pressed to not think their reintroduction was at the very least, a dumb idea.

On the other hand I have thought for a long time that the use of nuclear fission for any form of power is a really dumb idea. If you are serious about how dumb I think this idea is and enough of you ask, I just might publish my article "Godzilla vs. the World" here some time soon. We are messing with something that is so powerful, we cannot control and has the potential to destroy us all, without having "all the information". This simply does not sound like a good idea.

When I first took my children to an Earth Day celebration I wanted them to learn about their stewardship, because I really believe that we all have a stewardship over the earth. Many of my friends believe that God is in charge and He will straighten everything out. While I subscribe to their logic in one sense, I do believe that in our final interview with Him, He will ask what we did with the resources He gave to us. I don't think it will cut it to blame those in authority, for the lack of interest we took in preserving this marvelous earth that He created for us. We may not be able to stop the nuclear meltdown taking place in Japan, but we can personally do our part, whatever that may be. Each of us will have to search our hearts and our neighborhoods to see what we can do. Each of us will have to think about that one little thing that we can start, today, to help Mother Earth recover, rejuvenate and replenish herself.

Can you make a difference? I believe so, but it matters more if you believe so. Does God expect us to do our best to protect, preserve and in general be good stewards over this Earth that he created for us? I wholeheartedly believe so, but it will only matter to you, if you search your heart and see what you can do. Can we drive a little less, or a more efficient vehicle? Can you properly dispose of all trash and try to use those stubborn plastics a little less? Can you conserve and protect our water supply? Can you make a difference, I believe so, but it will only matter if you find it in your heart to do the same and so much more.

I haven't eaten tuna fish for over twenty five years, has that made a difference in the dolphin population, I hope so, but at least it has made a difference in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. To this day I still remember that Dolphin movie, and yes the impact was deep. I can't eat Tuna, and I really can't stand the smell of it. You attempt made a difference, and I too am trying to teach my children the importance of "Mother Earth"

    ReplyDelete