Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It rained almost all day today. We had approximately two 30 minute breaks, during the second one, I put my suit on and went down to the pool. I'm not as nuts as this sounds, I actually work out in the pool and if I don't work out for two consecutive days, I'm so stiff, it's hard to move. I do feel better. Back to the rain, we are in the draw of what has just become Tropical Storm Otto, it's really not going to affect us other than to drag all this moisture up and onto us. Rick and I drove up to his job site this afternoon, in what we thought was one of the rain breaks (actually we were barely out of our condo parking lot when it began to pour again) and the roads on the east end of St. Croix are all flooded. After we came home and watched the news, we learned that the schools and some government offices were closed today due to the flooding, guess it was even worse than we thought.

Because I was stuck in the house all day, I figured it would be a good time to pursue my recent distraction of returning to school. This whole online degree thing is really kicking my butt. The University web sites aren't that easy to navigate and once you get into their online programs, you have to practically be signed up for the course before they give you the prerequisites and the costs. Holy cow, is it ever expensive! Also, they all want you to sign right up as a full time student and commit to going on through and getting your degree within a specified time, of course, they want you to commit financially too. There is a part of me that understands the logic to this, after all I am one of "those students" who is currently on the 40 year plan, and still doesn't have a degree. But after all this time I really need to ease into this thing and I really need to pay as I go and not incur debt, particularly when you figure that at my age this really isn't about a career move.

Back to my best option, BYU. I can't sign into an online degree program with them, but I can take continuing education courses, for college credit. I'm thinking I'll sign up for one and see how I do and see if I can complete it within 8 to 10 weeks and not be completely nuts. If this works out I'll sign up for another one or maybe even two at a time and see how it goes. If I can accumulate 12 to 15 credits, I'll start talking to someone about a degree and see what we can work out. The three best things about BYU are: 1. I trust them. 2. They offer a wide range of courses, that are both general education and core classes. and 3. They are affordable. I really want to get on with this and not drop the ball, I'm afraid that if I don't do this now, I probably never will. Of course,leave it to me to finally decide, after I have left the country and live in the Caribbean.

Talked to Rachel today as she was on the way to a Dr's appointment regarding her diabetes, diet and insulin. The more information I get the less confidence I have in her doctors. This is definitely an area that needs more prayer and faith. I need to pray for her to be in the Lord's Hands, because her doctors seem to be pretty distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment