Sunday, July 4, 2010

Church was interesting today, we sang My Country Tis of Thee and The Star Spangled Banner, as usual, but in a foreign country. I was called and sustained as the 1st Counsellor in the Relief Society today and I taught the lesson in R.S.. Also, I have been asked to speak in church next Sunday along with the Relief Society President. Life in a small Branch. I do sincerely pray that I can relate to the sisters and that they can relate to me. I know the Gospel is the same no matter where you are, but the circumstances of the people are very different here.

We went to the fireworks at the west end of the island(Fredricksted) tonight. It was fun. We sat on the beach looking out over the Caribbean with nothing but water between us and Honduras(the Spanish Main, as Rick informed me). There was a Steel drum bank playing in the park behind us, more than calypso type music(which is what I normally associate with steel drums) it was African type music. It was a real party at the beach and a mob scene. We watched a Mom and her 3 or 4 year old daughter swimming in the night surf, really made me miss Rachel and Macy, they would have loved it. After the fireworks, when we were walking back to our car, I kept looking behind for Rick, not wanting to lose him in the mob of people, he was easy to spot, the only white face in the crowd. There are other white people here and we saw many at the fireworks, but we are definitely the minority.

It's late and I am tired, tomorrow is the Branch beach party, so another day of festivities, fun at the beach and eating. Happy 4th of July to all of you stateside!

No comments:

Post a Comment